Re: linux debian installation preserving dos

Valerie CAYOL wrote:
  >A old version of linux is already installed on my computer
  >and the disk is partitionned between linux and dos.
  >I would like to install a new version of linux (debian linux 131), keeping
  >my dos partition untouched. Is this possible and if so, could anyone tell
  >me how I can do that ?

Yes.

When you start to install Debian it will ask you which partition to use for
Linux.    Give it the device pathname of your existing Linux partition.
Since so many files may be misplaced in your old Linux as opposed to Debian,
it may well be best to let the Debian install remake your Linux partition.
Of course, you must ensure that you have saved any local and private files
that need to be preserved.

You also get a chance to declare partitions used for DOS; give the pathname
of your DOS partition then.  Your DOS partition will be mounted and accessible
from inside Linux, but will not be touched unless you change it yourself.

(Just in case you don't know, the partition pathnames are /dev/hda1 and the
like.  Use `df' to see what they are now:

$ df
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda3              49737   24080    23089     51%   /
/dev/hda4              96619   64695    26935     71%   /var
/dev/sda1            2028098 1432949   490327     75%   /usr
/dev/sdb1            4292072 1632036  2437939     40%   /usr1
/dev/hda1             352608  313296    39312     89%   /dosc