Re: pgp

A while back I was looking through the PGP source code thinking of
maybe porting it to the Apple II GS (the computer I used at the time
--I shutter to think how long key generation would take on a 2.6 MHz
machine)
There seem to me to be ONLY _2_ differences between the international
and US versions of PGP.
1) the version number that it reports (IMHO this one is the MOST important one)
and 2) (legally the more important one)
The USA version is linked against RSA's RSAREF libs whereas
the int version uses a better set of libraries.
In the USA the RSAREF libs ar ethe only ones that can legally be used because
of RSAs ownership of RSA
my thought was this...
I don't see how anyone could dissassemble the PGP program
(as it is a tottal mess...I have seen the source) and prove what library you
linked it against...
has anyone thought of compiling PGP with the international libraries (since
they are faster) and having PGP claim to be the USA version?
all of the benefits....none of the drawbacks...
as for whather a person in the USA CAN use the int version....
CPUs in the USA use the same instruction sets as outide...
they can execute teh same code..."Its all good"
hell...you can even use PGP in France and other
countries...the only difference that EVER exists is what
happens when you get caught :)
(some people don't like my "legal Interpretations" but they are nonetheless
_mine_ so noone else has to like them...is it obvious that I am not a legalist?)
-Steve

Chris wrote:

> On 5 Apr 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
>
> > Chris wrote (of pgp):
> > > ...Not that I am allowed to use the america only version...
> >
> > I know no reason why you couldn't use pgp-us anywhere that you can use
> > pgp-i.  I also know of no reason why you would want to do so.
> > --
> > John Hasler
> > john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)
> > Dancing Horse Hill
> > Elmwood, WI
>
> Oh, sorry, from reading the package docs I got the impression that the us
> version was only for use in the us.  Now that I've heard some comparisons
> I assume that it is just that the US prevents it's citizens from using
> the better system - anyone else can do whatever they like.
>
> Chris
>
> --

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.