AMD K5 PR 100 & Linux

About a week ago someone with an AMD K5 processor left a message
 (unfortunately i erased it from my system)
stating that he he had to recompile the kernel with the 386 option in order
for Netscape
to function properly.

Since i have been having and still have erratic buggy behaviour in
connection with the X server
i am beginning to wonder if incompabilities between my kernel and the AMD
K5 PR 100 could be the cause of my problems.

What i have is:
 AMD K5 PR 100 processor
 Debian linux 1.3.1
(don´t know any revision number and don´t know how to find out what the
revision number is).
 Regular kernel 2.0.29 (the one from the CD)

Does anyone out there use this processor and has maybe experienced similar
problems ?

Gabor Kontur
KGabor@compuserve.com