Re: xdm, lesstif problems

> The primary Incoming directory is on master.debian.org and is accessible to
> developers only. There are several publicly accessible mirrors of it, e.g.

<snip>

Ok, I installed grep 2.1-7 and now xdm works, but when I try to login, the
Xserver starts (I'm using AccelX 2.1) but then restarts and kicks me back
to the xdm login.  So, I Ctrl-Alt-F1, login as root, /etc/init.d/xdm stop,
and startx, and get:

PCI (#1/0, 8000000b)
MATROX,16: 1064SG (4096k @e6800000, [0.000 - 135.000MHz])

waiting for X server to shut down
Fatal server error:
Freeing resource id=2A which isn't there

I also still get this about lesstif-bin while running dselect:

Installing files...
(Reading database ... 20068 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace lesstif-bin 1:0.83-3 (using
.../devel/lesstif-bin_0.83-4.deb) ...
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing
debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/devel/lesstif-bin_0.83-4.deb
(--install):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish (forking to background)
Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
 debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/devel/lesstif-bin_0.83-4.deb
DPKG ERROR

I tried lesstif-bin_0.83.5.deb from Incoming and got the same message.

I even tried removing it to re-install it and it wouldnt' let me do that!

running dpkg --pending --remove ...
(Reading database ... 20068 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing lesstif-bin ...
dpkg: error processing lesstif-bin (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish (forking to background)
Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
 lesstif-bin

TIA for any help :)
Matt