Re: x is dead - non-free

On 4 Apr 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I'm sure that Xi & friends will be offering R6.4 for Linux.  They will puff
> their products with claims that theirs is the "real" X while the stuff from
> XFree is merely an obsolete version.  This may even be part of the motive
> for the change.

Well, you are still free to give away both source and binary distributions
of R6.4, you only need to get the commercial license if you charge money
for X or for an installation including it. Debian can still include R6.4
in non-free as long as Debian does not charge money for its distribution.
In other words, the restriction only comes into play for people wanting to
SELL linux with R6.4 and in that case $7500 allows you to sell 50,000
copies per year at whatever price you choose.  A commercial company
wishing to USE R6.4 in its business may do so for free provided they do
not sell products that include R6.4 in it.

The whole point in the license is that it is a license to DISTRIBUTE
X11R6.4, no license is required to USE it.

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org