Re: Installing Debian Linux..

Brandon wrote:

> Could someone tell me what the base1 3.tgz is for and what the base.bin
> files are for...
> i am just kinda getting into linux and wanted to know...

Hi,

The 5 base-?.bin files are for writing to floppies.  They contain the
base system which has enough utilities to install the rest.  You
might use these if you are making the floppies on one system to
install on another system that has no software yet.

The base1_3.tgz is for the common case where a dos system is already
on the system that you are going to add linux to.  It is simply the
same data as the previous files, all in one file.  The installation
program reads the hard disk, instead of floppies.  So, there is no
need to break it into floppy size chunks.

Hope you give linux a try.

ps  http://www.linuxpress.com has a nice installation guide you can
download.