Re: Correct directory permissions list?

servis@purdue.edu writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Somehow several directories on my 1.3.1 system have had their
> permissions changed.  So far I have found /tmp and /var/spool.  Is
> there some list somewhere that lists all the default permissions of
> these directories? Maybe a file in /etc or something?  I think it
> happened when I tried to use the netscape4 package to upgrade
> netscape 4.04 to 4.05 and it crapped out.

The permissions of /tmp are likely to be changed if you:

        cd /tmp
        tar xfz ...

As the tar archive contains an entry for the current directory, the
/tmp directory gets usually permissons of 755 after this.

No idea what might happend to /var/spool.

To answer your question, I don't know of such a file permission list
(except for suid programs).  The base-files package, for example,
contains the /tmp directory including its correct permission, but the
permissions are not part of the /var/lib/dpkg/info/base-files.list
file.

        Torsten