Re: mail in linux...

kingalfor@inxpress.net (Dave Elliot) writes:

<SNIP>
> the hostname, but won't let me get mail.  I changed my computer name to
> mail.inxpress.net(my mail servers provider), and used fetchmail...  I told
> it to send my root mail to my main user(alfor).  When it downloaded it, it
> appeared to delete the messages, and I couldn't find them in any of the
> /home/(user) directories.  How can I set my system up to get and send mail?

The messages were delivered to smail, which should have put them in
/var/spool/mail/<user> - this is the file that elm/pine/whatever (have
you considered mutt? No? Why not?) will look in for new messages.

Pine is in non-free, assuming you're using stable (aka 1.3.1 aka "bo")
- the license on pine has some silly restrictions that make it not
completely free (in the sense of liberated, not in the sense of
costing nothing) software.

And your username on your isp's mail server and your username on your
own machine don't have to be at all the same.  I have an entry
something like this in my .fetchmailrc:

poll mail.geocities.com proto pop3
    user topoliza with password xxxxx is martind here

since I have a mail account with geocities under the name "topoliza"
and my user name on my box is "martind".