Re: swapFILE vs swapDISK ??

> Hi,
> I was wondering whether there are any benefits to using a swap partition
> as opposed to using a swap file.
> I am running debian 1.3 on a system with relatively low resources (200
> megs HD, 12 megs ram), and have it set up to have a 12 meg swap partition.
> But, today I found out about mkswap and how I can on the fly create a swap
> file and use that. It seems like this would be pretty useful to me as I
> can 'dynamically' choose how to allocate my memory / harddrive space.
>
> Is there any performance loss to making swapfiles (large ones), as opposed
> to having a static swap partition?
> Will it (this may sound silly, but my hard drive is old too ... 1993)
> increase the wear and tear on my hard drive?

   I use a 486 laptop w/ 8M ram and an 8M swap partition.  This total of
16M has really never been a problem unless I run a bunch of heavy things
at the same time.  I f you're machine already has 12M, you could probably
safely decrease your swap partition (8M, maybe 4).  I would suggest
leaving some sort of swap partition cause you don't always know when the
machine wants more.  On some occasions when my 16M isn't enough I do also
make a swap file to use for that particular job and then get rid of it.