Re: Non-Free Software

manoj wrote,

>I certainly would prefer the Debian project itself not pass
> these judgements on non-free packages unless we had legal advice.

speaking hypothetically, as my law licenses are inactive to avoid the $800 a
year in fees while i spend time as a graduate student, and am probably not
licensed in the state in which debian is incorporated, and a bunch of other
standard disclaimers:

If an organization were to come to me, and ask about it or an affiliate, or a
person, making decisions on copyrights of software packages, I'd have a couple
of general observations:

1)  deciding whether or not the legal restrictions in a copyright allow
distribution, when that distribution is to be made by another person or
entity, probably constitutes the practice of law, which would open a can of
worms for any non-lawyer doing it.

2) the person doing this, as well as any distributors, could face copyright
infringment actgion if they decide wrong.  acting in good faith with reasoned
legal advice would affect damages, not liability.

3) the persons making the decision, and those distributing, should have
insurance.

rick, esq.

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.