Re: AOL's spam policy

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I forwarded abuse@aol.com some of the spam the list has been getting.  I
> thought that posting what AOL has to say about spam might be interesting.
> They also mention spam from Compuserve since AOL recently acquired
> Compuserve.  The following is an excerpt from an automated response from
> postmaster@aol.com:

[policy chopped - go read original]

Yes.  I have read that.

I have forwarded, with full headers, every spam I've seen on this list in
the last week to abuse@aol.net.  I have just received a cordial reply from
one of AOL's overworked postmasters saying that they appreciate the report
and have taken 'appropriate action'.

This is the best response, IMHO.  Forward every spam you get to
abuse@aol.net.  Always include full headers.  If AOL receive several
reports of the same user, they *will* cancel his account.  It quickly
becomes quite hard work for the spammers to operate.

And any genuine AOL debian enthusiasts are welcome to lurk here until they
get the new hard-disk they're waiting for to dump Win95 ;)

Jules