Re: X is dead.

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 01:49:54AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>  X has become non-free software
> (http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/x/xlicensefaq.htm) and because
> of that unuseable for the Linux community.
>  And now?

The rumors of X's death have been greatly exaggerated.  What will likely
happen is that free development will fork from X11R6.3, with XFree86
possibly taking the lead.

What I would like to see is a coalition of free software interests
sending an ultimatum to the Open Group: either adopt a DFSG-compliant
license for X, or we'll GPL all our changes to X so that you can't
derive any benefit from them under your present license terms.

As yet I haven't heard word of any such move.  I suppose I am as
eligible as anyone to attempt to organize it, but I have no experience
in these things.  It's for things like this that it is particularly
regrettable that Bruce left.

In other news, for those of you who do not follow debian-devel-changes,
XFree86 3.3.2-3 (for frozen/hamm and unstable/slink) has been uploaded
to master.  This fixes about 15 bugs, including all but two bugs of
important severity (there are no outstanding critical or grave bugs).

Those remaining two important bugs I will attempt to address in -4.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |      "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Purdue University                   |      "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle