Hard Drive Petitioning

Hello, I am installing debian for the first time, and it boots fine from
the floppy, but in the installation program, when I try to partition a
hard disk (either of mine), it briefly flashes the 'installation program
is determining the current state of your system' message, and at the
very bottom of the screen it also says 'segmentation fault'.  Then it
dumps me right back in the main menu.  I am somewhat of a newbie at this
and any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Ryan