Re: Boot hang and debian hamm

According to Jeffery D. Collins:
> Nils Rennebarth wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 06:44:10PM +0000, Jeffery D. Collins wrote:
> > > I have been unable to reboot the kernel. The only text printed
> > > to the screen is "LI".
> > > Here is lilo.conf:
> > >

> > > $ cat /etc/lilo.conf
> > > boot=/dev/hda1
> > > root=/dev/hda1
> > > compact
> > > install=/boot/boot.b
> > > map=/boot/map
> > > vga=normal
> > > delay=20
> > > image=/vmlinuz
> > > label=Linux
> > > read-only
>
> > try to remove compact and add the option linear.
>
> > Nils
> >

> I just tried this, but it still hung on "LI".   Perhaps I should also specify
> thedisk geometry in the lilo.conf file as well.  I wonder if the boot.b got
> corruptedsomehow?

	My problem may be related to this ``linear'' option.

	Debian is rooted on my 1st SCSI (1.0G) ((and continued on my
	3rd 4.3G SCSI).  BSD is rooted on my 2nd SCSI (4.3G).

	After many trials last night, LILO worked to boot Linux;
	it began to see my BSD boot partition, but then hung.

	On stdout was:

	``Booting BSD

	LI''

	and then an infinite hang.  I haven't touched anything in
	the /boot directory, so /boot/boot.b has to be good.

	How can I tell if there is trouble with the geometry of my
	SCSI drives?  More importantly, how can I resolve any problems?!
	And, what are the chances that BSD will boot if I add the
	``linear'' option after striking ``compact''?

	Any//all feedback welcome...

	gary kline