Scientific Software Packaging Feedback

Purpose?

     We at Kachina Technologies, Inc. are very excited about the tremendously
increasing popularity of our SAL (Scientific Application on Linux) web site.
Based on encouraging user feedbacks, we want to go the extra mile to provide
more services to the Linux and the Scientific and Engineering communities.

What is SAL?

     SAL (Scientific Applications on Linux) web sites collect thousands of
software links for scientists, engineers, and Linux ethusiasts.  There is no
doubt that SAL has become one of the most important, popular, and exciting
software resources for the Linux and UNIX community.   SAL was developed by
Dr. Herng-Jeng Jou, along with many others at Kachina Technologies, Inc.

     While most system/network level applications are packaged by Linux
distributors and provided on their CD-ROM distributions, most commonly used
free scientific packages are still provided in source code format. Although
many users contributed packages which are often found in /contrib directories
on Linux distributors' FTP sites, lack of version tracking and centralized
control hinder the appreciation of these individual efforts. We are facinated
by the team work and coordination of GNU/Debian Linux people and want to
pursue the same goal in software packaging for the Scientific and Engineering
community.

     Our initial goal is to archive Debian (.deb), RedHat (.rpm), and simple
binary tree (.tgz) used by many distributions including the popular Slackware
distribution. At the same time, SAL's website will function as a repository
and users can download the packages and install them on their systems
immediately.

     However, we'd like to listen to your opinions on the best policies and
procedures to get this job done correctly.

     Please tell us what scientific and engineering software (those with free
source codes that are available of course) you would like to see packaged.

     Please email us at sal@kachinatech.com and simply include:

         1.  Software name(s)
         2.  Preferred packaging format (RPM, DEB, or others)

     Although this is just a survey, we are quite serious and excited about
doing this. The established packages will be available through SAL.

     Currently, there are 14 SAL sites installed worldwide, and their URLs are:

     Austria             http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/scicomp/sal/
     Finland             http://sal.jyu.fi/
     Germany             http://ftp.llp.fu-berlin.de/lsoft/
     Italy               http://chpc06.ch.unito.it/linux/
     Japan               http://ec.tmit.ac.jp/koyama/linux/SAL/
     Poland              http://www.tuniv.szczecin.pl/linux/doc/other/SAL
     Portugal            http://www.idite-minho.pt/SAL/
     Russia              http://www.sai.msu.su/sal/
     South Africa        http://web.ee.up.ac.za/sal/
     South Korea         http://infosite.kordic.re.kr/sal
     Spain               http://ceu.fi.udc.es/SAL/
     Turkey              http://sal.raksnet.com.tr
     United Kingdom      http://www.ch.qub.ac.uk/SAL/
     USA                 http://SAL.KachinaTech.COM

     We welcome your feedback, comments, and suggestions.  Please send your
messages (including mirroring requests) to sal@kachinatech.com

                                             Sincerely,

                                             Team SAL
                                             Kachina Technologies, Inc.