Re: block device name for cd-rom

that depends on what type of CDROM you have....
if you are like most PC Users who can only afford cheap hardware (like me)
then you probably use IDE,....
the device name would be /dev/hdX (where X is a letter )
a typical setup would be this:
you have the hard drive ( C: in DOS) as the first device on the First IDE
controller...
this device is hda  (and hda1 is the first parttion on that drive)
the second (slave) device on IDE controler 1 is hdb
then the 1st device on ide controler 2 is hdc
then the snd (slave) is hdd
you probably have the CDROM as either /dev/hdb
or /dev/hdc (thats the one I use)
you could have a differnt setup (say if it is SCSI) but I would say that is by far
the most
common, espcially for new users
-Steve

HHaque wrote:

> I have installed debian on hard drive. Now I am trying to use deselect. I chose
> access method as cd-rom.  I am being prompted the following:
>
> Insert the CD-ROM and enter the block device name
>
> what should I enter here?
>
> --

-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4 and
Linux =-
replacement: (ok I admit...I am bored..its a slow day at work)
[sjc@debian ~]$fortune -o
Anything more than 3 shakes is for fun.