Re: mozilla.deb, get it while its hot

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Jules Bean wrote:

> An amusing story.  I'm doubtful though... I've written long essays and
> papers which aren't 1MB even in MS Word..

They do, if you include OLE objects, like bitmaps. OLE needs an enormous
overhead (receipes to make word crash seem to always involve OLE objects.)

Also, a lot of word users don't know this, Word includes a lot of
information you might not want it to include at all, like:

 - the place on your harddisk where you saved it;
 - if you cleared the document by deleting the old text in an old
   document, it actually keeps that text. In my department (where there
   are lots of FreeBSD users) this was discovered when some manager sent a
   document around, ordering everybody to use Microsoft exchange. when it
   was "cat word.doc | strings | fmt | less", it also showed another text,
   which was quite embarrassing (yes, the content too.);
 - lots of superfluous stuff like font definitions that you didn't use;
 - dangerous macros (word viruses - a word document is actually a
   dynamic part of the word program);

Cheers,

Joost