Re: FTP login incorrect when user specified

gunfried geiger <epigg01@uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Dear Linux Experts,
>
> what might be the reason for the following behaviour of FTP when trying to
> log into my Linux device: the client shows 'connected to 134.2.4.8'
> but after specifying the user and the CORRECT password, it shows:
> '530 Login incorrect. Login failed'
> It can't be a problem of the hosts.allow and hosts.deny class i presume ?
>
> gg

No; if it were an /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/hosts.allow issue, you
wouldn't even get that far.  However, ftp denies normal users the
ability to log in if their username is listed in /etc/ftpusers, or if
the user has a non-standard shell.  (A shell is considered
non-standard if it's not listed in /etc/shells).

Could either of these be the case?