using an alternate XF86_SVGA

My video card, a diamond stealth 2500, uses a screwball chipset, the AT-24
from alliance.

It works with the base SVGA server, but with lots of artifacts.  Enough that
I'm limited to 1024x768; they get really bad beyond that.

THe manufacturer provides a replacement driver, but it's a year or two old.
When I try to swap drivers, I get the "unable to create socket" errors (hmm,
there doesn't seem to be a backup of /var/log/xdm-errors to get the exact text
from).

I also noticed that the installation script refers to different places for
some files, such as /etc/XF86Config, and /usr/X386/lib/X11/cards.

is there any hope?  I'd like to go to a larger display, or 16 bits, but it's
just not very usable with this driver.

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.