Re: Samba config/password problem; Win95 OEMSR2

> I am not sure if osr2 forces encrypted passwords, but it sounds like a
> possibility.

   Yes, it seems as it does (see below), at least with the DUN 1.2 upgrade it does.

>  Can you smbclient to yourself in Linux to see if it will browse?

   Aha, this is an interesting angle I haven't thought of!  I tried it, here's what
happens; I get the error message of:

ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session
Setup are invalid.)

   It gives advice to try uppercase passwords (no good either).  Interesting.  This
is with "security = user" enabled.  If I comment out security = user then I can
connect fine and it lists out my Linux server and even a Win95 machine set up to
share a hard drive.  I can also connect from the Win95 machine if I comment out
security = user but errors if I have it enabled. Nice, but I want to use security =
user. :-)  Anyone have any ideas on what could be happening?

> And how do you setup "plain text passwords" through NetBios in windows 95?

  Perhaps plain text is the wrong terminology, I just meant unencrypted.  It's done
by adding a registry key and is documented in /usr/doc/samba's Win95.txt.

--
 Regards,                 | Debian GNU/__      o http://www.debian.org