Design of Debian web site

Hi!

The last times I visited the Debian web site I had to realize that it is
not very impressing concerning design and structure. Especially in
design the sites of FreeBSD, The GNOME Project, KDE, Red Hat, etc. have
a lot more to offer.

Of course web page design is not the most important thing about Debian
but as the web site is in most cases the first contact with Debian I
consider it important to have a professional, serious looking
appearance.

Moreover I think the strucure could be improved. I think 16 items in the
main menu are too many and most of them would fit in a top level
category.

To make it more clear what I mean: I think of home page with a
navigation bar on the left and a text column on the right. The
navigation bar should contain a maximum of about 6 top level categories
like About, News, Support, Development... each with its second level
categories. The text column could contain a brief description of what
Debian is, the latest news article or other related stuff. And to make
it perfect one could add a nice banner containing the logo and the text
"Debian GNU/Linux".

All other pages could contain a smaller version of the banner and a
navigation bar on the top with only the top level categories. The whole
thing could be colored in white / red / dark blue like the logo.

What do you think about this? I would be happy to hear your opinions. If
there is enough positive feedback I can create a rough prototype of what
I think of.

Bye,
Thomas