Re: vhost popper?

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

: This should be easy enough (at least the networking part). A socket
: must be bound to an IP/port before it can listen for connections. In
: sockets programming servers generally bind to the address '0' which
: means any address. You can easily bind to a specific IP address. If
: you've set up an ip-alias then that solves that problem. Then you just
: have to figure out how to hack the program so that it accesses a
: different source for passwords--you can replace getpwent by fgetpwent.
: Better yet you can use a custom user database and have your clients
: use APOP authentication instead of POP3's usual 'here, let me send
: your password in the clear of the network' method. Of course then your
: clients will have to use Eudora...

<sigh> ... well, I'll pull out the Stevens network programming book
tonight.  I guess I could use Perl, but this seems like a good
opportunity to get a firmet grip on C.

My clients will never use only one email program ... we're an ISP.  I
see a lot of Netscape, IE, Exchange ... blech.

Thinking further on this, I see delivery will have to be looked into ...
each user still needs a unique mailbox.

I'll see what I can do :)

Nathan

: finn@midco.net wrote:
:
: > I was just thinking (it's dangerous, I don't like to do it often) ... we
: > support quite a few virtual host customers around here.  Now, there are
: > solutions for http and ftp, but for email we've been using the
: > virtusertable capabilities of sendmail.  This works well when someone
: > wants to receive their email at an offsite location.  However, we have a
: > lot of customers who don't want (or know how to) run their own mail
: > server, or web server, so they come to us with a request for a virtual
: > host and a list of 20-30 email addresses for their employees.  It's
: > really hard to explain why they can have an email address like
: > "joe@customersdomain.com" but they have to retrieve mail from our mail
: > server with a username like "joe21".
: >
: > So, now to the question :)  Is there a hack for popper so that it
: > listens to different IP addresses, and access a different
: > username/password database depending on which IP the request arrived at?
: > I hope that makes sense ... I also hope someone smarter than me has
: > thought about it and implemented it.  Otherwise, I may try to get my
: > hands dirty ... the real programmers won't like my code at all :)
: >
: > Thanks,
: >
: > --
: > Nathan Norman
: > MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104
: > mailto://finn@midco.net   http://www.midco.net
: > finger finn@kepler.midco.net for PGP Key: (0xA33B86E9)
: >
: > --