Re: XF86 3.3.2 again

On 8 Mar 1998, Ben Pfaff wrote:

 :    If XFree86 3.3.2 does make into hamm before the freeze, will the libraries
 :    be compiled so that they will be thread safe (i.e. reentrant)?  If so,
 :    will they be compiled according to the instructions given in the README in
 :    the LinuxThreads package?
 :
 : Yes.  The Debian X libraries have been compiled reentrantly for a long
 : time, IIRC.

I heard that quite a few times, though I still have problems during
development within the Mnemonic Project. I recompiled the libraries
according to the instructions in the LinuxThreads package some time ago, and
those problems disappeared.

So IMHO those libraries ain't thread-safe (the problems were thread-related;
GTK exited with errors pointing to threading problems in the X lib's).

My $0.02

Remco