spontaneous rebooting

I installed Debian GNU Linux 1.3 revision 6 on a laptop.  When I boot
the system, just when LILO is about to load Linux, there seems to be
an 80% - 90% chance that the system will spontaneously reboot.  If I
wait a long time, eventually LILO successfully loads Linux without
rebooting.

Is this a hardware problem?  (The manufacturer doesn't think so.)
I'll mention that when the laptop was running Windows 95 before I
installed Linux, it experienced no such problem, and I've never seen a
spontaneous reboot when I select Windows 95 rather than Linux from
LILO.  What can I do to fix the laptop?

David