Re: I need help

Ivan & Ines Rojas writes:

> Hi there,
> I just finish installing and setting my linux box, which wasn't a easy job
> for a windows user :-) and then I decided to use PPP.
> I install the module accordingly with the PPP-HOWTO but I'm missing the
> ppp-on and ppp-off files.
>
> I have no idea if I did something wrong, eventhough I didn't do much either.
>
> But any ways, my question is: how can I put these files in my system? can I
> just create them from the scratch using emacs or any editor? if that's so,
> where can I get the file templates?
>
> Please help me, I really want to try linux connected to internet, I've been
> trying 4 months to setup this machine and right now I just can logon, mess
> around and type "shutdown -r now". I'm starting to feel a little frustrated
> :-(
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Ivan

You probably need to force the de-installation of the PPP package and
re-install it from scratch. I ran into that problem when I first tried to
finalize PPP. Once you re-install the PPP package, follow the directions in
/usr/doc/ppp/README.debian.gz  That file will have the most "up-to-date" info.
I kept reading horror stories about how difficult PPP was. When I
de/re-installed PPP and followed the indicated file directions, PPP started up
ok! The only thing which you might want to shutoff from the debian default in
/etc/ppp/options file is the "proxyarp" option if you don't need it.

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK