newbie ppp install question...

Hi,

   I downloaded the base install, and that seemed to work fine after intsalling it.  I also bought a book "The Debian Linus User's Guide", and I followed the install like it said.  I can log in as root, and dselect starts properly.  Now, I am supposed to go a second v-console, and configure ppp.  I entered in a script using ae, according to what the book said, and my modem lights blink on and off as if they're being tested, but then nothing happens.  I went back to set up the system again, but now the lights don't even blink on the modem...  First, let me tell you my hardware...
TI Travelmate 4000 dx/2 50
8 MB RAM
mouse
intel 144/144e faxmodem (external)

Now, here's the scripts the book gave me...
/etc/ppp/options

debug
/dev/ttySN(I'm using 0 for my serial port, so I use /dev/ttyS0)
38400
modem
crtscts
lock
connect /etc/ppp/ppp-connect
asyncmap 0
defaultroute

--------------

/etc/ppp/ppp-connect

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v -t 60 -f /etc/ppp/ppp-chat

----------------

/etc/ppp/ppp-chat

ABORT "BUSY"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
""  AT&F\r
OK  AT&D2&C1\r
OK  ATD555-5555\r                   (I'm using my providers number, of course)
ogin: LoginName\r
sword: password\r

Now, I have entered in all the correct settings for the network in installation(dns, ip address, netmask, nameserver)

Now, I went back to reinstall ppp thinking I did it wrong, and it said it had a few dependencies, which I then loaded/installed(serial.o and something else...)  After that(installing serial and the other one), the modem lights don't even blink like they did originally.  It appears to not be detecting the modem.  I've tried other ttySx numbers, and none of those work either.  I'm sure the 0 is the correct one.  In the book, it doesn't really say how to set up modems, just that in the driver part of install, the modem drivers should be configured here.  How do I do that?  I also notice that I have written down(I don't remember where I found it) "for ppp create config entries in /etc/init.d/network"  What does this mean, and how do I do it?  My debian book isn't really helping me.  Is there a good linux book I should get to help me learn the system?  When I run ifconfig, I just get info for lo, not for ppp0...  Perhaps ppp isn't staying connected?  I read something about that also... certain modems don't let ppp load long enough or something to that effect?

One last thing...  I ran Dos and Windows on the laptop before, and the system ran hot after a couple hours.  Just touching the bottom of the notebook, the heat was pretty incredible.  After running linux(at least the base system, looking through the directories, editing files, etc...) for about 8 hours, the system wasn't much warmer than it's turned off temperature!  That's a good thing, but does anyone know why it didn't heat up like it did when I was using DOS?  It's quite odd, and I couldn't believe my eyes(or hands...)  Anyways, any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.  I don't have a CD-ROM drive, so I need to download the files off the net, that's why I really need to learn how to set up pppd... Of course, I still want to surf on my linux system regardless of downloading more files.  Also, I want to run xfree86, and I only have 8RAM, but I've set up a 40 MB Swap File... Would that allow xwindows to run decently on my system, or is it more complex than that?  How much disk space does xwindows take up.  I've only got a 200 MB Hard drive with a 160 MB hda0 partition, and the swap partition.  Can I comfortably fit xwin on it, and still have room for say, netscape navigator, and other files?  OK, I will honestly shut up this time.  Thanks for your time and help.

Peace,
-dave