Re: 80 MB ram in debian system

>From the xconf menu:
CONFIG_MAX_16M

This is for some buggy motherboards which cannot properly deal
with the memory above 16M. If you have more than 16MB of
RAM and experience weird problems, you might want to try Y,
everyone else says N. Note for machines with more that (sic) 64MB of
RAM: in order for the kernel to be able to use the memory above
64 MB, pass the command line option "mem-xxxM" (where xxx is
the memory size in megabytes) to your kernel during boot time.
See the documentation of your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) about
how to pass options to the kernel. The lilo procedure is also
explained in the SCSI-HOWTO, available via ftp (user:
anonymous) in sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO. You also
need at least 512KB of RAM cache if you have more than 64MB of
RAM. Some other things to try when experiencing seemingly
random, 'weird' proplems: 1)passing the 'no-hlt' option to the
kernel 2)passing the 'no-387' option to the kernel 3)passing the
'mem=4m' option to the kernel (thereby disabling all but the first
4M of RAM) 4) disabling the cache from you BIOS settings 5)
exchanging RAM chips 6) exchanging the motherboard.

--
best,
-bill