/etc/passwd comment field

I was reading through the passwd(5) man page, and I noticed something really
neat, you can set the priority at which the users processes will run, and
their ulimit.  I was able to get the pri= field to work, and I also want to
limit users to a max of 40 processes, but I can't figure out how.  What is
the format of the ulimit= field?  I tried ulimit=-u40 and ulimit=u40, and
with a space between u and 40, but it doesn't work.. (I got the u= from man
ulimit..)

PS. I use a hamm system.