two monitors

I am trying to get an old mda (hercules compatible?) card going together
with a Matrox Millenium on an ASUS P55T4P2 motherboard.  On my quest, I have
found two ways to do this, one of which almost works---a "multimon" kernel
patch that has compiled cleanly on 2.0.33.  A second approach is called
"mda" and is a module.

Neither of them works for me yet.  Multimon seems to show the most promise,
and apparently is the more flexible approach in all, anyway.  I suspect the
mono card may not be good: the linux kernel boots with both monitors
established by the kernel during the boot process, but I can't get a
boot from the mono card, even if I remove the svga card---the bios won't
even write the change of monitor type to cmos.

I set gettys up on tty9 and tty11 for the mono monitor: when I switch to
those vc's, the cursor disappears from the svga monitor; but it never shows
up on the mono monitor---that monitor never does a single thing ever.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My experiments are encouraging, at
least, so I wanted to mention them with respect to the current thread.  The
URLs are:

multimon for 2.0.32:   http://trap.mountain-view.ca.us/~tom/projects
mda                :   http://www.pandh.demon.co.uk

A GGI project was mentioned in the mda readme as developing multimonitor
configurations:
                 http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi

The multimon patches look to be compatible with CGA, as well as mono
monitors.

Alan Davis

--
"Our loyalties are to the species and the       Alan E. Davis
planet.  We speak for Earth. Our                adavis@netpci.com