Re: Changing HW clock to GMT?

tim.thomson@usa.net (Tim Thomson) writes:

> Hi,
> I want to set my hardware clock to GMT. I answered no in the
> question when setting up my system, so my HW clock would be local
> time. I now want to set it to GMT so I don't have to change it when
> daylight savings kicks in.

On my system I had to change the file /etc/init.d/boot:

# Set GMT="-u" if your system clock is set to GMT, and GMT="" if not.
GMT="-u"

The comment should make it clear.

After changing that item (which determines if clock -a gets the -u
flags while booting) ensure that your system clock is correctly set
and call clock -uw to write the correct time into your rtc.  The -u
tells clock to write the gmt time instead of the local one.

        Torsten

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
                                            Fortune Cookie