Re: /dev/cua? and /dev/ttyS?

On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 05:33:06PM -0500, John Kloss wrote:

> ... and I can say this about /dev/cua*
>
> It is NOT obsolete.

Believe me, they are obsolete, and aren't any more installed.

> The only way that I can connect to my modem (which is
> a pcmcia card) is through /dev/cua1. I tried many times to connect to my
> ISP through /dev/ttyS1, 2, 3 (it should be 1 because that is what the com
> port is) and nothing happened. When I switched to /dev/cua1 everything
> worked.

So? if your reasoning means that DOS uses for that port the name COM1,
than it is /dev/ttyS0 (historically, TTYs always started from zero, and
also don't presume that Linux does something in some way "because" DOS
does it in the same way: it's surely a case :-).

$ ls -la /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  64 Feb  2 23:31 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  65 May 28  1997 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  66 May 28  1997 /dev/ttyS2