Re: Meta key doesn't work anymore in xemacs!

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Christian Hudon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running xemacs20 instead of emacs now, and my meta key doesn't work.
> Each time xemacs starts up, it complains that
>
> (1) (key-mapping/warning) XEmacs: Meta_L (0x73) generates both Mod1 and
> Mod4, which is nonsensical.

Well, I think technically XEmacs is right, it's just that no other
programs care. Somewhere in some manual it says to make alt generate meta
in a way that produces this problem (I'm assuming you have a PC and not a
Sparc or something with a real Meta key). I don't understand it fully,
personally.

But you can make the error go away with something like this to Xmodmap:

! Alt = Meta
keycode 0x40 =  Meta_L
keycode 0x71 =  Meta_R
clear Mod1
clear Mod4
add Mod1 = Meta_L Meta_R

There may be a better way, I don't get along with Xmodmap too well.

HTH,
 Havoc Pennington