Linux Kernel - Different Sources - are they the same ?

Hi,

I was running the Debian Kernel 2.0.32 on my machine without ipmasquerading
set.
I just copied a Slackware 2.0.0 Version of vmlinux onto my debian box as it
had ipmasquerading already set to on.  (more from curiosity than anything
else).

I ran LILO, and rebooted half expecting it to fall on its face and spack
out.   It didn't !!

All the functions of the box appear to work.
Are they in fact compatible, or was I just lucky.

Ian