Re: where is it?

Now that two people gave the same advice, I'm going to
dissent.  The instructions in install.txt are adequate if
you have Debian on CDROM.  Not if you download to disk
yourself.  I downloaded what I believed was an accurate copy of
ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/linux/debian/bo onto a spare hard
drive and mounted it on the machine being installed.
But I could never find an answer that would satisfy the
ambiguous prompt that wants to know where to find the "Debian distribution"
already mounted.
(Is there a missing top level directory?  What's its name?)
I installed from CD ROM later with no problems.
Install.txt glosses over this, I suppose because
most people are installing from the CD or over the network.

I don't know how to fix it or I would have sent in a patch.
For now, we shouldn't be telling newcomers to Linux that
install.txt is all the info they'll need to install Debian.
The ones who try to download it may be disappointed.

Cameron