Re: X-Windows questions

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Markus Lechner wrote:

> Here are many Questions about X-Windows:
<snip>

> I'd like to run X-Windows on almost every Terminal (except the first
> one) on my Computer.

Do you really want that? This requires that you start an X server for
every console. It is much less memory consuming and much faster to
take a window manager that knows about multiple virtual desktops like
fvwm.

> How to configure the system (or what do i need to know for that case) to
> bring up a xdm/kdm login on every terminal except the first?

Simply add a line for each to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers . You might also want
to add a parameter that tells each server which console it must run at.
Also, rou can specify a different color depth for each server, like this:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9 :0 -bpp 16
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt10 :1 -bpp 8

This runs an X server at console 9 with 16-bit color depth and one at
console 10 with 8-bit color depth.

Remco