Re: PCI NIC support for 89C940?

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Chris Brown wrote:

> I've got a bunch of PCI Ethernet adapters lying around, several
> brands like Link-SYS etc. that I'd like to use with Linux.
>
> They all have the LSI "Winbond W89C940F" on them. I've seen some
> reference to them as being "Novell NE2000 Compatible" but they
> don't seem to work with that driver and they don't use NE2000
> I/O addresses. The HOW-2's don't seem to list this chip.

I have a couple of those at home. They work fine. They used to give
problems (wrongly detected as ne1000.) There is a patch for that at Donald
Becker's site (Donald wrote a lote of the NIC drivers for linux and is
mentioned in the Ethernet-HOWTO.)  Since some late 20's or early 30's 2.0
kernel versions, the debianized kernel-source package already contains
patches that fix problems with detection of (amongst other models)
"winbond" pci ne2k's.

>From the Ethernet-HOWTO:

/quote/

3.4 Problems with NE1000 / NE2000 cards (and clones)

Problem: PCI NE2000 clone card is not detected at boot with v2.0.x.

Reason: The ne.c driver up to v2.0.30 only knows about the PCI ID number
of RealTek 8029 based clone cards.  Since then, Winbond and Compex have
also released PCI NE2000 clone cards, with different PCI ID numbers, and
hence the driver doesn't detect them.

Solution: The easiest solution is to upgrade to a v2.0.31 version of the
linux kernel. It knows the ID numbers of about five different NE2000-PCI
chips, and will detect them automatically at boot or at module loading
time.

Alternatively, after booting, you can get the I/O address (and interrupt)
that the card will use from a ``cat /proc/pci''. Say for example it
reports IRQ 9 and I/O at 0xffe0, then at the LILO boot prompt you can add
ether=9,0xffe0,eth0 which will point the driver right at your card and
avoid the PCI based probing altogether.  (Future v2.1+ kernels will know
about the PCI IDs of Winbond and Compex NE2000 clones as well, so this
won't be necessary then.)

/etuoq/

Maybe some of the other things told there are worth reading too.

Just take the debian kernel-source-2.0.32 package and compile a kernel
to see if it works. It probably does, otherwise have a look at
Donald Becker's site:  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/

Cheers,

Joost