Re: [Q] dselect-mountable install does not find packages

On 24 Jan 1998, Kirk Hilliard wrote:

> > But while from the local disk mirror it worked flawlessly, I failed
> > to use it through NFS.
>
> I am using it succesfully via NFS against a mirror of Hamm.

Well, perhaps -- I cannot tell really -- it's related to that I'm not
using a full mirror. For instance I don't have "Packages.gz" in
'hamm/hamm' but only in 'hamm/hamm/binary-i386'. Same to others. Seems
that it looks for the files in the wrong directory...

> > I have a partial mirror of hamm on the NFS, containing only the
> > directories you see below:
> >
> > I set it up to use NFS mount in fstab, entered the dirs (hamm/binary-i386,
> > contrib/binary-i386, non-free/binary-i386 and non-us/hamm), and update
> > worked fine. After selecting I went on to [I]nstall, but it told me
>
> OK, just curious here -- what did you enter non-us/hamm as -- your
> local arcive?  This is not related to your problems, but I was
> surprised that I was only asked for main, contrib, non-free, and local
> -- no mention of non-us.

I'm using non-us as local :) Perhaps this is the way everyone does,
perhaps I'm eccentric. Anyway mountable makes it possible to add as many
source directories as I want.

> > "Warning: package XXXXXX, version X.Y-Z not available for installation.
> > Skipping."
>
> I don't know about this, but ...

seems dpkg-mountable looks the file in the wrong directory...

> > and some
> >
> > "Error: package XXXXXX does not have a filename! Skipping."
>
> this sounds like bug#8054 against dpkg-mountable.  If a package fails
> to install, dselect (using the mountable method) looses track of it
> (Andy thinks that some strange behavior of dpkg itself is to blame for
> the actual problem) and you have to rerun "1. [U]pdate" in dselect.

Well, since no packages ever was found, this isn't really a problem of its
own. :-)

> interested in seeing this wonderful method working well for the hamm
> release.

I'm now using it regularly keeping my other hamm up to date, but it have
the mirror on the local drive (it's the NFS server). So far it worked
flawlessly except I was stupid enough to start Remove which removed far
too much, probably because the lack of care on my side. ;-)  [D'oh, I hate
having important packages removed.]

thanks,
Peter