Afterstep blues

Hi,

I've decided I need some help. I don't get it anymore. I upgraded a lot of
packages on my own computer to be able to use libc6 versions of X-programs
(most notably the gimp), and it has worked. I use afterstep as window manager
(version 1.0-5.1). This one also works just fine.

Now I have installed *exactly* the same packages on the computer
of a friend (which had almost the same install as mine computer, and I should
know, I installed it), in *exactly* the same order, and I can't get
afterstep to work. Put afterstep in .xsession, and it just hangs whenever
afterstep tries to draw some pretty lines around windows. btw. windows don't
appear at all. Example .xsession:

xterm .... &
afterstep

doesn't show a thing. Other example:

xterm ......

shows an xterm, but this setup is hardly usable :) I also tried:

afterstep & $wmpid=$!
start some things
wait $wmpid

Doesn't do it either.

Difference between the computers: I use xdm, he doesn't, I have an S3 968,
he an ATI MACH64.

One thin I noticed: on his computer 'top' fails to run *after* I have tried
to start afterstep. If I start top *before* I have started afterstep for
the first time after a reboot, it works.

So, anybody got a clue? Did I miss some package? Relevant packages
installed on both systems:

xlib6_3.3.1-2.deb
xlib6g_3.3.1-2.deb
xpm4.7_3.4j-0.5.deb