Re: ?:Linux on Omnibook 4000: CDROM does not work

Ralf,

Although the boot kernel for debian includes support for Adaptec SCSI
controllers, they are not autoprobed for. In order to recognize your
controller, first you need to know which controller you have, (Adaptec
aha151x, aha152x, aic6260, aic6360, etc.) and then you need to identify the
"proper parameters". Then when you boot to install linux and you get the
"boot:"
prompt you'll type something like:

linux aha152x=0x378

where 'aha152x=0x378' is an example of "proper parameters" in order to
divine what the proper parameters are, take a look at the bootparam(7) man
page (which I'm emailing you privately since you may have difficulty
getting this since you can't install linux right now).

Ralf Durben wrote:

> Configuration:
>
>  Notebook:        HP Omnibook 4000C  486/50  8MB RAM  500MB DISK
>
>  Linux-Partition: 250MB
>
>  SCSI-Interface:  Port Replicator
>
>  CDROM:           NEC Multispin SCSI 4x
>
>  Linux:           Debian 1.3.1 on CDROM
>

> Hi experts,
>
> I am trying to install Linux on my notebook. Unfortunately Linux
>
> does not recognize the CDROM. I have tried every CDROM-device
>
> (e.g. /dev/scd0) but Linux does not recognize it as a block device.
>
> I guess it is because of the port replicator. When Linux boots
>
> it says that 0 scsi hosts were detected.
>
> The CDROM works fine with Win95 or MS-DOS. For MS-DOS I have a
>
> driver called Adaptec EZ-SCSI.
>
> Has anybody installed Linux on an Omnibook? Or does anybody have
>
> a solution what I can do?
>
> I even cannot compile c-programms because cc is not installed.
>
> I have installed the basic kernel via floppys. But it is too hard
>
> to install all of Linux via floppys :-(
>
> Please reply directly to me because I am not on this maillist.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any helpful response.
>
> Ralf Durben
>
> Germany
>
> email: 100.57912@germany.net
>
> --