Re: emacs, X, and Alt key

Hi Mark!

> I, like Thomas Vaughan, have been having problems getting emacs to
> recognise the Alt key under X.  (The system is a Toshiba laptop.)

I'm running a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT, and the Alt key in emacs under X
works fine in combination with other keys without any special setup.
What model is your laptop and what window manager are you using?

One problem with fvwm2 it is the line in
/etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc which breaks Meta-mouse:

  Mouse 0 W M move-and-raise-or-raiselower

I fix it by adding this line to my ~/.fvwm2/post.hook:

  Mouse 0 W M -

Meta-mouse is used in emacs for secondary selection.  I will bring
this up with the fvwm2 maintainer if this line is still in the hamm
version.

Kirk Hilliard

P.S.  I would rather use "emacs -nw" in an xterm than use emacs in
      its own window if it were not for secondary selection and
      mouse-yank-at-point.  Put (setq mouse-yank-at-point t) in your
      ~/.emacs and give it a try.