Updating the kernel via patches

Hi,

recently I tried to update my kernel (2.0.30) to version 2.0.33. I
used the script patch-kernel (I hope the name is right) and the files

   patch-2.0.31.gz
   patch-2.0.32.gz
   patch-2.0.33.gz

from sunsite.unc.edu. The update stopped after a short time with an
error message, leaving me at 2.0.31 or 2.0.32 (I don't remember
exactly) with quite a few "*.rej"-files. So my question is, wether
there the kernel-sources are arranged in a "debianized" way, that
the patches cannot be applied?

I remember that Carey Evans suggested some time ago downloading the
whole sources for upgrading. Is this the only easy way?

Thanx a lot, Harald