Re: new smail pkg (3.2.0.100-1.deb) problems

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Damir J. Naden wrote:

> When installing smail package, the only remaining package in hamm dist
> was 3.2.0.100-1, so I installed thinking it had solved previous problems
> with /etc/inetd.conf file. Well, the smtp line in /etc/inetd.conf is
> *not* commented out, and I still get the same (?) message that fetchmail
> sees the mail in my ISP mailbox, tries to retrieve it and smtp
> connection is refused. I don't have any network cards and no local
> networks (single PC box), only connected to the ISP. I can telnet from
> VC to localhost.
> The second problem is that the mail from root(while installing the
> package - the test message) to localhost (my regular username is where
> all the postmaster mail should go) is not delivered with the message:
> #runq: /etc/smail/config: parse error: unexpected end of attribute
> This message pops up on my VC where I'm logged as a root every time runq
> attempts to send it...
> Is this my fault or has somebody else encountered a similar problem(s)?

I've just installed the latest release as well.  There are several
signifiant changes in the configuration files that correct a number of
previous bugs and significantly tighten security.  You really need to
go through the documentation and update your files.

--
Jean Pierre