Re: "86open" conformance of debian

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 09:18:09AM +0100, jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> > See http://www.telly.org/86open/86open-faq.html: the 86open initiative is an
> > initiative to standardise the C library API.
>
> Is that all? Binary compatibility would be super. I think commercial
> companies would like to just target at i386-86open. Impossible?

I just went to the 86open page (http://www.telly.org/86open/). Quoting:

"... hiding the differences between the various operating systems and
allowing the resulting binary programs to run unaltered on any compliant
system. Whenever possible, it will be consistent with The Open Group's
Single Unix Specification."

So it sounds like binary compatibility. Great.

Regards

Milan Zimmermann

Unite for Java! - http://www.javalobby.org