Re: bash shell script questions

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, David Stern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this isn't a bash shell script news group, but the fact is I
> can't find one.  Since bash is the default linux shell, I was hoping
> someone could answer a few pretty simple questions.
>
> 1.) How do I insert a newline character in a "double-quoted" string?

echo -ne "hello \n world"
(Try it, you may want it without the -n, but -e is necessary)

> 2.) What is a good method to reassign variables interactively?

echo -n "what copy method: "
read copy_method

[ 3rd question and script snipped ]

My own scripting question:

How do I changed the command's appearence to ps?  E.g. sendmail identifies
that it is accepting connections.  I'd like my scripts to say what part of
the compile it's working on.

HTH and TIA,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds