Re: PPP problem

OSWALD jean <joswald@club-internet.fr> writes:

> I have set the ppp debian package
> My modem is responding when I use minicom
> I have completed the /etc/ppp/options file properly.
> And when I run the command pppd the kernel answers
> "Sorry - Lack of PPP in your kernel"
>
> Or when I type "dmesh | grep PPP" I have no answer
>
> What shall I do to activate the PPP daemon ?

You'll probably get answers about how to compile ppp support into your
kernel, but if you're using the standard kernel, you already have ppp
support available.  First make certain that you're loading the ppp
module, either by uncommenting the "auto" line in /etc/modules or by
making certain that a line saying "ppp" is in /etc/modules (put it
after any line saying "serial", if there is one)  Now - why are you
using the pppd command directly?  (I know, because the howto says to
do that - although that's good for starters, debian has an easier way)

The debian way of getting ppp to work is to edit your
/etc/ppp.chatscript file to match what's necessary for your ISP.  For
example, mine has: (the phone number, username, and password have of
course been changed)

ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
""           ATDT4105551234
name         myusername
word         \qmypassword

The example /etc/ppp.chatscript file has "ogin" where I have "name" -
this is because my ISP asks for my username with the prompt "username"
instead of "login" - adjust as necessary (note that the example
/etc/ppp.chatscript has a flaw - there should NOT be a \q after the
password).  Then, modify the file /etc/ppp.options_out to have, among
other things, the correct device name for your modem.  (If you've put
an option in /etc/ppp/options, you don't need to repeat it here) For
example, my /etc/ppp.options_out says:
bsdcomp 15 crtscts defaultroute noipdefault /dev/ttyS1 38400 modem persist

since my modem is on /dev/ttyS1. (aka COM2) Once you've done this, you
can turn ppp on with the command "pon" and turn it off with "poff" -
if you need to see what's going on you can use the command "plog".
(and if you need help, "plog" output may tell other people what's
going wrong)

In any case, make certain that BEFORE you try to start ppp, (either
with pon or with pppd directly), you exit any minicom sessions or any
other programs which may be using the modem; (this does not mean that
you need to hang up the modem, just that you need to quit minicom)
pppd is a bit stupid about whether or not your kernel has ppp support,
and if it can't get a lock on the modem (because some other program is
using it), pppd will sometimes report that the kernel doesn't have ppp
support, even when the kernel does.