Open Sound System (commercial version) and Debian

Trying to get sound support on a Toshiba 220 CS (which seems to
have a Yamaha OPL3-SA3), I checked a few WWW pages on Toshiba laptops,
some of which with suggestions which were quite valuable, such as
http://www.cck.uni-kl.de/misc/tecra710/ and
http://www.suse.de/~rj/english/tosh440CDX.html (especially the
suggestions on this one sufficed to make sound work).

However, being still somewhat confused about the most appropriate settings
(having doubts about MPU-401 support, for instance), I downloaded an
evaluation copy of the commercial OSS version from
http://www.4front-tech.com/ and tried to use it instead (after, of course,
installing a kernel without sound support).  I believe that the message
below, which I sent to 4Front via http://www.4front-tech.com/support.cgi
after a failed installation, may be relevant to others trying to install
the commercial version of OSS on their Debian systems.

I am currently trying to "tune" my Debian system for use in this laptop (I
have been using/installing/administrating Linux systems for several years
now but this is my first laptop and I still have a lot of information to
browse on APM, PCMCIA and... sound support), and will provide here any
information which may be useful to other 220CS owners and/or set up a WWW
page with that info (obviously, any suggestions concerning details still
difficult to find in the usual documentation or Linux laptop WWW sites
would be most appreciated...).

                                         J. Esteves

Greetings

I downloaded the evaluation version of OSS for the kernel 2.0.33, in order
to try it on a Toshiba 220CS, but `oss-install' failed, giving the output
reproduced below (I also append the resulting contents of soundon.log).
Since I compiled the 2.0.33 kernel with the proper options for use with
OSS, I tried to find the cause for this problem.  The problem (or one of
them) seems to be in the check_shields.sh script.  This reads
/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h expecting to find there information about
the kernel actually installed.  However, the files in /usr/include/linux/
are provided by a libc5 package (libc5-dev).  This is the policy followed
at least by the Debian distribution (apparently with very good reasons).
Under Debian, in order to use information strongly dependent on the actual
kernel installed, one should therefore analyze files under
/usr/src/linux/include/linux.  Adding support for this to OSS would
therefore be important at least for Debian users. (Obviously, from the
point of view of package management, it would also be most interesting to
have the possibility to obtain the commercial OSS available as a Debian
package).

Since sound support is not an urgent issue for me, I will probably wait
for any developments concerning this instead of temporarily
making /usr/include/linux a symbolic link to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux.  I am, however, potentially interested
in acquiring OSS when the abovementioned installation problems are
corrected.

By the way, I suggest that your uninstall script also takes care of
removing:
- /etc/oss.conf
- the link /usr/lib/libOSSlib.so

In addition, under Debian:
- /dev/sndstat belongs to root:audio
  and has permissions rw-rw---- but your installation script makes it
  belong to root:root and become rw-rw-rw- ;
- /dev/mixer0 (14,0) is created when there is already a /dev/mixer
  (with the same permissions and ownership as above);

Thank you very much for your attention

                         J. Esteves

-------------- OUTPUT FROM .oss-install ------------------------------
/root/stuff# ./oss-install
info.
sh ./check_shields.sh

Error: Your kernel seems to be configured without loadable modules support.
Please recompile the kernel with CONFIG_MODULES option enabled. This option
can be enabled by answering to the following question:
"Enable loadable module support"

Error: Your kernel seems to be configured without loadable module versioning.
Please recompile the kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS option enabled. This
option
can be enabled by answering the following question:
"Set version information on all symbols for modules"

make: *** [sndshield] Error 255
*** Compiling sndshield failed - kernel version incompatible ***
This version of OSS is not compatible with the kernel you are using
See /usr/local/lib/oss/Readme for more info.

Error: Your kernel seems to be configured without loadable modules support.
Please recompile the kernel with CONFIG_MODULES option enabled. This option
can be enabled by answering to the following question:
"Enable loadable module support"

Error: Your kernel seems to be configured without loadable module versioning.
Please recompile the kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS option enabled. This
option
can be enabled by answering the following question:
"Set version information on all symbols for modules"

-------------------------- soundon.log -------------------------------
Tue Jan  6 19:46:31 WET 1998
Linux scriptorium 2.0.33 #1 Tue Jan 6 15:00:29 WET 1998 i586 unknown
This version (3.8.1h-971229) is compiled for Linux-2.0.33
Kernel version: Linux scriptorium 2.0.33 #1 Tue Jan 6 15:00:29 WET 1998
i586 unknown
=== Running soundon ===
Install directory: /usr/local/lib/oss

/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/sndshield: unresolved symbol current_set_Ra3aab10f
/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/sndshield: unresolved symbol wake_up_R61177642
/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/sndshield: unresolved symbol
register_chrdev_R825dfc85
/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/sndshield: unresolved symbol
interruptible_sleep_on_Ra9abd0e7
/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/sndshield: unresolved symbol
register_blkdev_Raedef0af
/usr/local/lib/oss/modules/sndshield: unresolved symbol mem_map_R49b83852
info.