Re: samba trouble - security = user/share

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 1998 at 11:42:56PM -0500, Paul Miller wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with the 'security = user' option.  When set, the Win95
> > computers can't browse or login - permission denied.  When it is set to
> > share, everything works fine.  Anyone have this problem before?
> >
> > I'm using Samba 1.9.18alpha14 with encrypted passwords enabled.
>
> Yeah, I have sambades on my bo system here, which has the encrypted
> support (predecessor to the current samba in hamm).
>
> With security = share, it asks NT users again for the password,
> even if it's the same as their login password. With security = user,
> it asks the 95 users. So I can't win either way. I think it will
> let me in with security = user though, after double checking the
> password. Maybe it is remembering your password incorrectly?
> Not sure what you can do about it though.

No.. It prompts for the password either way.  Only when security = share
the password is accepted.  Encrypted passwords were inabled in both
security settings, so there can't be a problem with /etc/smbpasswd.

Is there a way to have win95 prompt for the user name also for each share?
Currently the only way to login as a user is to map the home directory,
all other shares have to be public...

Thanks
Paul