pppd -- Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support

Greg Cox <glcox@usmo.com> wrote:

> Ok, now it says "System Lacks PPP Kernel Support.

Hi Greg!

Make sure that /dev/modem is a link to ttyS1, and not ttys1.
Whatever ttys1 is, if it is pointed to by /dev/modem, or if it is
mentioned directly in /etc/ppp/options, pppd will give the message:

  Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support

This sounds like a bug to me.  Does anyone here understand why pppd
would give such a deceptive error message?

Kirk Hilliard
(using my Dad's account since ghoti.com is still down)