Re: Modem problem

elliston@echo.sound.net writes:

> I recently installed Debian Linux and I am now trying to get the modem
> working.
>
> The modem is installed and works under Win95 using Com 2, irq 3, 2F8, it is
> a pnp capable modem but I have configured it using the jumpers provided.
>
> I followed the ppp instructions in "The Debian Linux User's Guide" by
> Dale Scheetz but I was unable to get any response from the modem.
>
> I ran setserial and received:
>
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
> /dev/cua1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3, Flags: spd_vhi
>
> I don't know what to try next.

Well, this is to be expected - remember that linux numbers serial
ports from 0, whereas Dos numbers them from 1, so your modem is
/dev/ttyS1 in Linux.  (and therefore, setserial is indeed recognizing
your modem just fine) Now, what do you have in your
/etc/ppp.options_out file?  Specifically, do you have (as is the
default) '/dev/modem' in there?  If so, then you should make certain
that /dev/modem points to your modem (either that, or you can change
the bit in /etc/ppp.options_out to say '/dev/ttyS1' instead - opinions
differ as to which method is "correct") - you can make /dev/modem
point to your modem by doing:
  ln -sf ttyS1 /dev/modem

The see if you can get your modem to respond as it should.