Re: xdm -- Starting Multiple Servers

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> That's a bit clumsy. It'd be easier to start one server the usual way,
> then for each extra server you want, do "X :n.0 -query localhost". That makes
> X connect to the xdm on the localhost, and you don't need to send xdm any
> signals.

I have heard that, even with no "real" network involved, tcp/ip sockets
are slower than the "unix" type sockets normally used by xdm.

A clean solution is to explicitly tell each Xserver on which console to
run, like this:

<quote from /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers>
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9 :0 -bpp 16
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt10 :1 -bpp 8
</quote>

This runs an Xserver on :0 with 16-bit color depth at console 9 and
another Xserver on :1 with 8-bit color depth at console 10 (I use 8
consoles for normal text logins, so consoles 9 and 10 are the first
available).

It can take a while for both Xservers to start up completely, but they
will both start up. Only thing is, you can't predict which one will start
first and which one will start last.

Remco